Dexter Niles House

 

LEFT: Gen. John Hood ; RIGHT: Gen. Joseph E. Johnston

LOCATION : Front of Mead Corporate Offices


 

Georgia Historical Commission Marker 060-89 1956

Dexter Niles House

1042 Marietta St., NW is the site of the old Plantation home of Dexter Niles where General Joseph E. Johnston, Commanding the Army of Tenn., had headquarters July 10-18 1864. At trackside N., was the telegraph office in charge of Maj. Charles W. Hubner (later an Atlanta citizen). Night of July 17, a Richmond telegram arrived notifying Gen. Johnston of his relief from command of the Army, naming Gen. John B. Hood as his successor. Maj. Hubner decoded the message , crossed the road, entered the house and handed the dispatch to Gen. Johnston who, with maps spread out, was instructing Col. Presstman about Atlanta defenses.


General Joseph E. Johnston, C.S.A. Joe Johnston-http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/1167/jo_main.html

More background of Civil War activity -"The Campaign for Atlanta"

Through the eyes of Sara Huff

Back to Local Map